How do weighted blankets work?
A weighted blanket has been shown to stimulate deep touch pressure (DTP) just in the same way as when we receive a comforting hug.
Research has shown how lack of sleep and our busy fast-paced lives can cause our body to be in a prolonged state of “fight or flight”, putting us on permanent high alert, raising our body temperature and releasing the stress hormone cortisol – stopping us from sleeping.
DTP helps to break this vicious cycle by rousing our “rest and digest” nervous system and producing a feeling of relaxation and calm in both our mind and our body.
How do I pick a weighted blanket?
- Generally, the blanket weight should be 10% of the users body weight
- Blankets are not suitable for children under 3 years old
- For some users, e.g. the elderly, where some muscle tone may be lost, using a lighter weight is recommended
- Blankets fit the body and not the bed
- Can be used instead of, under or over a duvet or sheet. Choose whatever is most comfortable for you.
- Blankets should not be shared. If 2 people in a household would benefit from a blanket, 2 individual blankets should be purchased to ensure correct weight for the user
- Weighted blankets aren’t just for sleeping. They can be used any time you are chilling, in bed or in your comfiest sitting place
We have this here to help you find the ideal weight.
What are the blankets made from?
- Our blankets have a 100% cotton top layer, & a luxurious plush reverse for extra cosiness.
- Individually stitched pockets are filled with micro glass beads for weight without bulk.
- They come in different weights and sizes, and can be used by children, teens and adults.
- The ideal weight to choose for you is 10% of your body weight.
- We have a range of colours and printed designs to choose from so you can find the blanket that’s perfect for you.